Monday, July 10, 2017

WeChat ESL Class: July 15, 2017

A. High-Lights of the Week

B. Inspiring Short Story: Don't Forget to Smile.
A little girl walked to and from school daily. Though the weather that morning was questionable and clouds were forming, she made her daily trek to the elementary school. As the afternoon progressed, the winds whipped up, along with thunder and lightning. The mother of the little girl felt concerned that her daughter would be frightened as she walked home from school and she herself feared that the electrical storm might harm her child.
Following the roar of thunder, lightning, like a flaming sword, would cut through the sky. Full of concern, the mother quickly got into her car and drove along the route to her child’s school. As she did so, she saw her little girl walking along, but at each flash of lightning, the child would stop, look up and smile. Another and another were to follow quickly and with each the little girl would look at the streak of light and smile.
When the mother’s car drove up beside the child she lowered the window and called to her.
“What are you doing? Why do you keep stopping?”
The child answered, “I am trying to look pretty, God keeps taking my picture.”
May God bless you today as you face the storms that come your way.

C. American Idioms

  1. cat bird seat
  2. shortchange
  3. cold turkey
  4. close, but no cigar
  5. clear as a bell
  6. clear bill of health
  7. crocodile tears
  8. dead as a door nail


D. Bible Lesson: Luke 15:1-7 The Parable of the Lost Sheep
Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
So he told them this parable: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

John 10:10-18 I am the Good Shepherd
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

  1. How are we like a sheep that gets lost?
  2. What does the shepherd do when a sheep gets lost?
  3. How is Jesus like a shepherd?
  4. Why did Jesus tell this story to the Pharisees?
  5. What does it mean to be "lost" from Jesus?
  6. What does it mean to be "found" by Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment