Monday, May 8, 2017

WeChat ESL Class on May 20, 2017

A. High-Lights of the Week

B. Short Story: "god bless you" speech


A True Story - Author Unknown
They walked in tandem, each of the ninety-three students filing into the already crowded auditorium. With rich maroon gowns flowing and the traditional caps, they looked almost as grown up as they felt.
Dads swallowed hard behind broad smiles, and moms freely brushed away tears.
This class would not pray during the commencements; not by choice, but because of a recent court ruling prohibiting it. The principal and several students were careful to stay within the guidelines allowed by the ruling.
They gave inspirational and challenging speeches, but no one mentioned divine guidance and no one asked for blessings on the graduates or their families.
The speeches were nice, but they were routine; until the final speech received a standing ovation.
A solitary student walked proudly to the microphone. He stood still and silent for just a moment, and then he delivered his speech -- a resounding sneeze! The rest of the students rose immediately to their feet, and in unison they said, "God bless you."
The audience exploded into applause. The graduating class found a unique way to invoke God's blessing on their future -- with or without the court's approval.
C. American Idioms:
  1. Wow! It's raining cats and dogs today! I wish I'd brought my umbrella to school!
    a. I forgot my umbrella today.
    b. It's raining heavily.
    c. Cats and dogs are falling from the sky.
  2. When I told my mom I would be home around 2 am, she had a cow!
    a. My mom bought a baby cow.
    b. My mom is really strange.
    c. My mom was really upset.
  3. Jean: How did you know it was my birthday today?
    Susan: Oh, a little birdie told me!
    a. Jean told Susan it was her birthday.
    b. An unnamed person told Susan about Jean's birthday.
    c. Susan told Jean it was her birthday.
  4. Frank: Why didn't your brother ride the roller coaster with us?
    Sam: Oh, he's such a scaredy cat! He won't get on any fast ride.
    a. Sam's brother is afraid to ride the roller coaster.
    b. Sam's brother is a cat.
    c. Sam's brother didn't go to the roller coaster.
  5. When the telephone salesman told me I could buy some concert tickets for only $10.00 if I gave him my credit card number, it seemed a little fishy to me, so I hung up the phone.
    a. I thought the telephone salesman smelled like a fish and I didn't like that.
    b. I thought the phone salesman was a dangerous fish and he scared me.
    c. I thought the phone salesman was dishonest and I felt suspicious of him.
  6. I never learned how to use a computer, so I lost my job to a new employee. It's a dog-eat-dog world.
    a. Only the strong or the best survive.
    b. Dogs are eating dogs at the office.
    c. Dogs like to eat dogs for lunch.
D. Bible Lesson: Psalm 90

From Everlasting to Everlasting

Prayer of Moses, the man of God.

1. Lord, you have been our dwelling place
    in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
    or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
    from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
You return man to dust
    and say, “Return, O children of man!”
For a thousand years in your sight
    are but as yesterday when it is past,
    or as a watch in the night.
You sweep them away as with a flood; they are like a dream,
    like grass that is renewed in the morning:
in the morning it flourishes and is renewed;
    in the evening it fades and withers.
For we are brought to an end by your anger;
    by your wrath we are dismayed.
You have set our iniquities before you,
    our secret sins in the light of your presence.
For all our days pass away under your wrath;
    we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
10 The years of our life are seventy,
    or even by reason of strength eighty;
yet their span is but toil and trouble;
    they are soon gone, and we fly away.
11 Who considers the power of your anger,
    and your wrath according to the fear of you?
12 So teach us to number our days
    that we may get a heart of wisdom.
13 Return, O LordHow long?
    Have pity on your servants!
14 Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
    that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
    and for as many years as we have seen evil.
16 Let your work be shown to your servants,
    and your glorious power to their children.
17 Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
    and establish the work of our hands upon us;
    yes, establish the work of our hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment